1. The National Catholic Education Commission (NCEC) is commissioned by and responsible to the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference (ACBC) through the Bishops Commission for Catholic Education (BCCE).
2. NCEC shall carry out its functions within the Terms of Reference established or amended by ACBC, and in accordance with these Statutes.
3. NCEC shall report regularly to ACBC through BCCE.
4. NCEC shall consist of sixteen (16) Commissioners. The appointments to be:
(a) Presiding honorary Chair
(b) Executive Director
(c) Two (2) Bishops
(d) Eight (8) Chief Executives of State/Territory Catholic Education Commissions, ex officio
(e) A member appointed by the BCCE following a nomination submitted by the Committee of Religious Institute and Ministerial Public Juridic Person School Authorities Australia (CORMSAA)
(f) A parent selected by BCCE from a nomination forwarded by each State/Territory based parent organisation
(g) Two (2) community members appointed by BCCE.
5. The Chair and the Executive Director shall be appointed by ACBC.
6. The Executive Director shall be the official spokesperson for NCEC.
7. Membership of NCEC shall ordinarily be for a period of four (4) years.
8. Retiring members may be re-appointed, but no member shall serve more than eight (8) consecutive years unless he/she be the Chief Executive Officer of a State or Territory Catholic Education Commission.
9. Substitutes for members at NCEC meetings shall not be accepted.
10. Where a member is absent from three (3) consecutive meetings of NCEC without reasonable cause, his/her membership shall be deemed to have lapsed and another person shall be appointed.
11. In the event of a member of NCEC relinquishing membership for any reason, another person shall be appointed by BCCE to complete the unexpired term in accordance with 4 above.
12. NCEC shall have a Deputy Chair elected by and from the members of the Commission. The appointment shall be for the term of the Commission.
13. NCEC shall hold at least six (6) ordinary meetings each calendar year.
14. Extraordinary meetings of NCEC shall be called by the Chair, either at his/her own discretion, or on the request of at least six (6) members. In the latter case, the meeting shall be held within one month of receipt of the request. A quorum for extraordinary meetings shall consist of half the members of NCEC plus one.
15. All discussions at NCEC meetings shall be confidential and governed by the usual rules of debate. All members, including the Chair, have a deliberative vote, and the Chair shall also have a casting vote.
16. The minutes of NCEC and its Standing Committees shall be provided to BCCE.
17. The Deputy Director would normally be in attendance at Commission meetings.
18. NCEC shall establish a Standing Committee for Faith Formation and Religious Education. Members of the Committee will be appointed by BCCE. The Chair of the Standing Committee would normally be a Commissioner appointed by the BCCE.
19. NCEC may establish other Standing Committees as necessary. NCEC may also establish ad hoc Working Parties.
20. All Standing Committees, either standing or ad hoc, will have approved Terms of Reference and membership, including a defined period of membership.
21. The Executive Director shall be ex officio a member of all Committees and Working Parties established by NCEC.
22. NCEC shall submit an annual budget for approval by ACBC. It shall also annually submit to ACBC an audited financial statement. Financial statements shall be reviewed regularly by NCEC.
23. Costs of the NCEC Secretariat, NCEC travel, accommodation and other approved expenses incurred in the work of NCEC or its committees will be met from the approved budget.
24. NCEC is authorised to enter into service agreements for general operational expenditures, and to sign contracts for other services within its approved budget.
25. NCEC may be dissolved by a resolution of ACBC. In such circumstance, its records and assets will automatically transfer to ACBC.
Dated: 26 November 2019.